In January 1983, the Tenth Anniversary of the Law School was marked by the official opening of the Law Library. The celebration was marked by a performance by the Law Student Hula Halau, the presentation of a traditional Hawaiian wooden bowl to Justice Brennan (then Senior Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court) and the offering of a traditional Hawaiian blessing. A luau followed a speech by Justice Brennan.
The library is a one-story building with skylights in the middle and windows overlooking the main street across which is the main upper campus. A carpet of grass and leafy plants and trees separate the building from the street. A shady courtyard leads to the spacious library entrance / foyer from which Diamond Head is clearly visible.
The library has several interesting paintings. One is actually a mural in three parts. The artist is Frank M. Moore, the first director of the Honolulu Academy of Arts. It was painted in 1919 for a wealthy patron who owned the Blaisdell Hotel on Fort Street.
The seventy foot mural was split into three segments to wrap around the walls of the hotel’s restaurant. The mural was later given to the Law School. The second is of Diamond Head and the third shows O’ahu’s south shore at night. Another impressive painting is also a mural entitled Hawaiians at a Luau by Mataumu Toelupe Alisa, ca. 1977.
The library is located on Dole Street. Visitors may park at the parking garage located below the library at a flat rate.
The Law Library is open to all students, faculty and the general public. In January 2001, the Library migrated to the Endeavor library automation software (Voyager) for online public access catalog, circulation services, acquisitions and serials receiving functions.